Increase Your Metabolism with These Top 10 Spices
By flavoring your meals with these 10 supercharged spices, you can:
- Increase your metabolism
- Reduce inflammation
- Speed fat loss
- Control blood sugar
- Reduce your risk of cancer and heart disease
Without adding a single calorie, these powerful herbs and spices can transform an ordinary meal into something extraordinary! These 10 herbs and spices are good for you body and contain a wide variety of some of the most potent antioxidants of any food.
There are more antioxidants in these certain spices than in some popular fruit and vegetables. In fact, the following spices have 10-50x more antioxidants than blueberries (by a weight to weight ORAC value):
Not only do these top 10 spices add tons of flavor, the exponential value of their natural antioxidants, phytonutrients and anti-inflammatory properties can provide some very powerful protection against the threat of these diseases:
- Heart disease
- Macular degeneration
But besides the super health these super spices provide, here is why spice racks should start appearing in pharmacies. Herbs and spices offer:
- Rocket fuel to burn fat and increase metabolism – Because these herbs and spices are nutrient dense, they can increase your metabolism naturally.
- Powerful anti-inflammatory properties – Counteract chronic inflammation, a root cause of many serious diseases, with herbs and spices proven more powerful than isolated drugs and their negative side-effects.
- Effective anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal killers – Nasty bacteria and food-born pathogens can be killed by hot and spicy cuisine. The natural properties in these foods work against many microbes that are resistant to conventional medications.
- Blood sugar regulation – It has been revealed that many herbs and spices, being rich in the antioxidant phenol, can prevent damage and reduce inflammation to tissues caused by high levels of blood sugar by regulating insulin and by maintaining normal blood sugar levels, you can lose weight easier by burning fat and maintain weight loss by controlling blood sugar.
Top 10 Herbs and Spices For Your Health
1. Basil – Antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial
- Basil is considered a very effective anti-inflammatory herb for arthritis, allergies and bowel conditions.
- Basil helps kill harmful bacteria that cause food poisoning including: Listeria, Staph, and E. coli O:157:H7.
- Basil is also an excellent source of beta carotene, a powerful antioxidant that prevents free radical damage (efficiently preventing cancer, heart disease and aging)
- Because of its dark green color, it is an excellent source of vitamin K, calcium and magnesium, which is good for the bones.
- It is also a great source of iron, manganese, vitamin C and potassium.
- Usage: Generously incorporate fresh or dried basil into your foods for maximum health benefits!
2. Cayenne – Burns fat, heals digestive issues, reduces pain, treats blood and more!
- Cayenne is a spice known for its heat – burning taste buds, as well as burning fat!
- Controls appetite – eat an appetizer with cayenne and eat 15% less overall food!
- Cayenne pepper heals stomach issues by increasing digestive enzymes and preventing ulcers.
- Cayenne reduces LDL blood cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- Decreases the formation of harmful blood clots, all of which prevent heart attacks and strokes.
- This spice is known for controlling pain by reducing inflammation to treat everything from headaches, arthritis and sore muscles.
- You are no fool if you can experience cayenne's hot ability to clear your nasal passage while boosting immunity.
- Usage: Increase your metabolism by adding cayenne to eggs, meats and soups!
3. Cinnamon – One of the highest antioxidant spice
- Known for controlling blood sugar (by 20-30%), cinnamon can great assist type 1 and type 1 diabetics.
- Cinnamon can lower LDL cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- Cinnamon can relieve stiffness and pain in joints for those with arthritis or general muscle pain.
- Improve memory and mental acuity with cinnamon – even smelling cinnamon can enhance brain function!
- Cinnamon also reduces inflammation in blood vessels that leads to atherosclerosis and heart disease.
- Cinnamon has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties.
- Usage: 2 teaspoons a day, add to smoothies, baking, oatmeal, berries and even in your coffee or tea!
4. Cloves – THE highest antioxidant spice, the best natural medicine
- Cloves have been measured as having THE highest antioxidant level (ORAC value) of all spices and herbs. It can be used inside and out to treat, prevent and heal.
- One of cloves’ best known uses is its ability to relieve tooth and gum pain.
- The oil in cloves kills bacteria and is very effective when applied to scrapes, cuts, fungal infections, itchy rashes, bites, burns, or bruises.
- Cloves have strong antiseptic and germicidal ingredients that help fight infections, relieve digestive problems and arthritis pain.
- Cloves also help digestive problems like gas, indigestion, nausea and vomiting, and eliminate harmful parasites, bacteria and fungus in the digestive system.
- The smell of cloves boosts mental creativity, too.
- Usage: The unique and spicy flavor of cloves can be a healthy addition to hot teas.
5. Cumin – Especially good for digestion
- Cumin is great for digestion because it encourages the gallbladder to secrete bile and the pancreas to release enzymes that assists canadian propecia rx the body in digesting food to make the nutrients available for use.
- Cumin cools the bronchial tubes for relieving respiratory distress from asthma and bronchitis.
- Cumin has been proven to work as well as some commonly used diabetic drugs at regulating insulin and glycogen, making it great for diabetics or pre-diabetics.
- By keeping blood sugar levels under control, cumin can help control weight and burn body fat!
- The immune system is bolstered by cumin because of its high content of vitamin C, vitamin A and iron.
- Cumin is another spice especially high in antioxidants.
- Cumin also helps detoxify the body,
- Usage: Cumin goes great in chili!
6. Ginger – Ginger is VERY powerful for your health!
- Ginger contains over 25 different antioxidants, which makes it extremely effective at fighting free radicals in many different body systems.
- Ginger is commonly used for naturally treating nausea and vomiting. It should replace Dramamine and be used for motion sickness, as well. This is great news for pregnant women who shouldn't suffer from any drug side-effects (not like any one should!)
- Take ginger to the hospital and use 1 gram for nausea and vomiting due to surgeries. It is more effective than anti-nausea medication!
- If you are threatened by a cold or flu, ginger contains anti-viral properties to help sooth sore throats. Ginger is also an expectorant and can help get rid of coughing.
- Got pain? Get ginger! Its anti-inflammatory properties can help reduce swelling from arthritis and muscle pain.
- Ginger also fights cancer, reduces cholesterol, and prevents blood clots that lead to strokes or heart disease.
- Try a tea made with hot water simmered with a few slices of ginger and a small amount of honey and lemon for a soothing tonic when you are sick.
- Add ginger to sushi.
- Take a couple capsules of ginger daily (since ginger is not as commonly cooked with as other spices).
7. Oregano – Anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral
The oil of this herb is very potent! It ranks very high on the ORAC scale of measured antioxidant value and has been used for medicinal purposes, such as:
- Treating bacterial and viral infections, parasites and stubborn fungal infections.
- Reducing inflammation – internal or external.
- Providing relief from allergies, aches and pain, without side-effects.
- Usage: 4 – 6 drops (about 50 mg. of 100% pure Oil of Oregano, diluted with a carrier oil such as olive oil. A safe blend is 1 part oregano oil to 3 parts olive oil).
8. Rosemary – Great for the grill!
- Improves concentrations, boosts memory and lifts depression.
- Strengthens the immune system – treating respiratory problems and clearing chest congestion.
- Improves circulation.
- Reduces asthma.
- Stimulates the gallbladder for better digestion.
- Fights cancer – especially preventative for colon cancer, stomach cancer, breast cancer and lung cancer.
- While rosemary adds a delicious savory flavor to meat dishes, it will protect your body against harmful carcinogenic toxins.
Speaking of meat…if you are going to grill meat, marinate meat with rosemary, thyme, garlic, oregano or other herbs and spice for a few hours beforehand in a liquid mixture. Not only will this taste great, but it will help to reduce HCAs (heterocyclic amines), which are carcinogenic compounds that can form when meats are grilled. Just a word of caution. If you grill your meat to well-done, then it will have a higher concentration of carcinogenic HCAs than a less cooked meat.
To counter act the extra carcinogens, surplus your diet with extra antioxidants like spices, tea and berries. Just be careful not to add charred vegetables to your meal – which also have a different class of carcinogens when grilled.
9. Thyme – Herb for everything
- Treats asthma.
- Effective for sore throats, bronchitis, chest congestion, laryngitis and coughs, so thyme is often added as an herbal ingredient in cough drops.
- Treats inflammation and infections – often added to natural mouthwashes.
- Soothes gastritis, indigestion and colic.
- Prevents cancer, improve memory, treat Alzheimer’s, calm the nerves, and alleviate depression, nightmares and insomnia.
- An interesting new discovery about thyme shows that it actually boosts the amount of DHA (an important ingredient in omega 3 fatty acids) in the brain, heart and kidney cells.
10. Turmeric – Super Spice
Turmeric’s yellow-orange pigment, curcumin, is the main active ingredient in this super spice.
- Curcumin is a rival to anti-inflammatory drugs like Advil and Motrin. Even with its tremendous anti-inflammatory properties, curcumin boasts no toxicity like OTC anti-inflammatory medicine. It is safe for arthritis sufferers.
- Because of its safe anti-inflammatory power, curcumin is a healthier alternative for treating Alzheimer's. By reducing inflammation and oxidation in the brain it slows the progress of the disease – but speeds up healing time from strokes.
- Turmeric is a friend to those with IBS, Chron's and ulcerative colitis.
- Turmeric also improves liver function, lowers homocysteine and prevents heart disease.
- Turmeric is probably the most exciting spice because it is being studied as an alternative cancer treatment. Take turmeric for security against cancer.
- Usage: Try adding turmeric along with black pepper on your eggs in the morning.
Herbs and spices to maximize your health benefits
Herbs and spices aren’t just about adding flavor. They may also have health perks that are related to their powerful properties. And using herbs and spices in your foods may help you burn fat, sugar, and salt, which could help your waistline, blood pressure, and overall health.
Here are the herbs and spices that you probably aren’t using yet, but should for these reasons.
• Rosemary, turmeric, ginger and basil are powerful anti-inflammatories.
• Cumin, turmeric, and sage help fight dementia.
• Cayenne, cumin, coriander and cinnamon help to regulate insulin and control blood sugar, aiding fat loss.
• Lemon grass, nutmeg, bay leaves and saffron have a calming effect.
• Garlic, mustard seed, hawthorne, and chicory are excellent for the heart.
• Basil and thyme help your skin become softer and smoother.
• Turmeric, garlic, basil, cinnamon, thyme, saffron, garlic and ginger boost the immune system.
• Coriander, rosemary, cayenne, allspice and black pepper can help banish depression.
To prevent disease and combat aging, these are 3 specific spices I recommend be taken on a daily basis.
Take them in a capsule form unless you happen to add large amounts in a dish you making and eating. You may already have these herbs and spices in your kitchen that can fight aging, increase metabolism and prevent disease. I suggest you incorporate a variety of these spices into your daily meals to maximize your benefit – consuming just 1 teaspoon a day of any of these herbs and spices can have a positive effect on your health.
Note: Always check with your physician to be sure certain herbs and spices don’t interfere with medications you may be taking—and check with your doctor before you quit any current medications.
by Catherine Ebeling – RN, BSN & Mike Geary – Certified Nutrition Specialist
co-authors – The Fat Burning Kitchen
More Articles Your Might Enjoy: